Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mirth Connect 3.0 - first glance after conversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mirth Connect 3.0 - first glance after conversion

    We just converted one of our test VMs from Mirth Connect 2.x to Mirth Connect 3.0.

    This is my first impression and I apologize if my findings can be corrected by some settings on MC 3.0

    We are running on a V1000 VM with 3 GB Max Heap Size and a PermGen of 128 MB. We have 94 Deployed channels. We are maxed out on the Heap Size but on the PermGen, we have the option of going up to 512 MB.

    The upgrade was very smooth but one of the things I found, MC 3.0 is very slow to respond (in terms of double clicking the channel; going to the "Channels" view or back to the "Dashboard" view). Everything seems to be slow compared to MC 2.x.

    The other nagging feature that clutters my Dashboard is messages such as these:

    ERROR 2013-11-01 07:44:09,396 [pool-435-thread-9] com.mirth.connect.connectors.tcp.TcpReceiver: Error receiving message (TCP Listener "Source" on channel 2420e5cb-7c34-4d60-a704-e1363abbd230).
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream. java:168)
    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStre am.java:218)
    < >



    Our MC Connect Logging level is set to "ERROR" and since the log does not give you a channel name (it shows the channel ID), you have to look it up on the Channels view and track your channel down. After tracking the channel down (as in the example), I see no issues with the Source. The channel shows "Connected" as its status

    Has anyone else run into this ?

    Thanks

  • #2
    Regarding the TCP error you're seeing:

    What's happening here is that the client establishes a connection, maybe sends some messages, and then when it's done, instead of sending a normal FIN packet, it's sending a RST packet instead. That's not expected, and usually indicates that something went wrong with the connection, so that's why it's logged out as an ERROR instead of a WARN.

    It's possible that that was happening in 2.x as well but you weren't aware of it since it wasn't logged out. It's also possible that it's a result of MIRTH-2984, if the client sending your TCP Listener messages is a TCP Sender on some other instance of Mirth Connect running on Windows.
    Step 1: JAVA CACHE...DID YOU CLEAR ...wait, ding dong the witch is dead?

    Nicholas Rupley
    Work: 949-237-6069
    Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.


    - How do I foo?
    - You just bar.

    Comment


    • #3
      Also just to clarify: When you said that the UI was slow to respond in terms of double-clicking the channel, did you mean double-clicking it on the dashboard to enter the message browser, or double-clicking it on the Channels view to enter the Edit Channel view?
      Step 1: JAVA CACHE...DID YOU CLEAR ...wait, ding dong the witch is dead?

      Nicholas Rupley
      Work: 949-237-6069
      Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.


      - How do I foo?
      - You just bar.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by narupley View Post
        Also just to clarify: When you said that the UI was slow to respond in terms of double-clicking the channel, did you mean double-clicking it on the dashboard to enter the message browser, or double-clicking it on the Channels view to enter the Edit Channel view?
        Yes, the UI was slow in terms of accessing the messages on the Dashboard. Also, it does not seem to sort the channels in the same way it used to MC 2.x.
        The other quirk that I noticed was if I used the "Send Message" feature (after I double Clicked on the channel in the Dashboard view), it does not show up immediately in the top pane on MC 3.o. I have to get out of the current view (to the main page) and come back again.

        We just upgraded last week.

        Thanks
        I did see you reply about the FIN packet, I will investigate further.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by anand14 View Post
          Yes, the UI was slow in terms of accessing the messages on the Dashboard. Also, it does not seem to sort the channels in the same way it used to MC 2.x.
          The other quirk that I noticed was if I used the "Send Message" feature (after I double Clicked on the channel in the Dashboard view), it does not show up immediately in the top pane on MC 3.o. I have to get out of the current view (to the main page) and come back again.

          We just upgraded last week.

          Thanks
          I did see you reply about the FIN packet, I will investigate further.
          Thanks, I've opened an issue regarding the sorting on the dashboard: MIRTH-3040

          Regarding the "not showing up immediately" issue, that's actually expected now in 3.0. After sending a message, the message browser does not automatically perform another query. You don't need to go back to the dashboard and come back in; you just need to hit the Refresh button to refresh the messages currently filtered, or hit the Search button to perform another query with the current search criteria. However after you send a message, the Search button is automatically bolded and given focus, so all you need to do is hit the spacebar.
          Last edited by narupley; 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM.
          Step 1: JAVA CACHE...DID YOU CLEAR ...wait, ding dong the witch is dead?

          Nicholas Rupley
          Work: 949-237-6069
          Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.


          - How do I foo?
          - You just bar.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by narupley View Post
            Thanks, I've opened an issue regarding the sorting on the dashboard: MIRTH-3040

            Regarding the "not showing up immediately" issue, that's actually expected now in 3.0. After sending a message, the message browser does not automatically perform another query. You don't need to go back to the dashboard and come back in; you just need to hit the Refresh button to refresh the messages currently filtered, or hit the Search button to perform another query with the current search criteria. However after you send a message, the Search button is automatically bolded and given focus, so all you need to do is hit the spacebar.


            Thanks for the info. I am also seeing another quirk. I have attached screen shots in the MS Word document.

            Appreciate the quick responses
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by anand14 View Post
              Thanks for the info. I am also seeing another quirk. I have attached screen shots in the MS Word document.

              Appreciate the quick responses
              The first issue outlined in the Word document is already explained by my previous post:

              Originally posted by narupley View Post
              Regarding the "not showing up immediately" issue, that's actually expected now in 3.0. After sending a message, the message browser does not automatically perform another query. You don't need to go back to the dashboard and come back in; you just need to hit the Refresh button to refresh the messages currently filtered, or hit the Search button to perform another query with the current search criteria. However after you send a message, the Search button is automatically bolded and given focus, so all you need to do is hit the spacebar.
              Since you sent a new message, you need to hit "Search" instead of "Refresh". The refresh task only updates messages currently in the search window, but the search task performs an entirely new query, which is what you want. Like I said, after sending a message, just hit spacebar.

              Also for your second issue, it looks like you were on the Mappings tab, instead of the Messages tab. Click on the Messages tab instead and you'll be able to view the Raw/Transformed/Encoded/etc. content.
              Step 1: JAVA CACHE...DID YOU CLEAR ...wait, ding dong the witch is dead?

              Nicholas Rupley
              Work: 949-237-6069
              Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.


              - How do I foo?
              - You just bar.

              Comment


              • #8
                Negative on the Message Tab. I did search there and nothing shows up. According to MC 3.0, the message was transformed. I see no option to select "Raw", "Transformed" "Encoded" on either Source or Transformed in the Message Tabs

                I did send the message, exit to the Dashboard and came back to the "Channel Messages" listing. I waited for more than 60 seconds.

                Thanks
                Anand

                Please see snapshot


                Originally posted by narupley View Post
                The first issue outlined in the Word document is already explained by my previous post:



                Since you sent a new message, you need to hit "Search" instead of "Refresh". The refresh task only updates messages currently in the search window, but the search task performs an entirely new query, which is what you want. Like I said, after sending a message, just hit spacebar.

                Also for your second issue, it looks like you were on the Mappings tab, instead of the Messages tab. Click on the Messages tab instead and you'll be able to view the Raw/Transformed/Encoded/etc. content.
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  Also, I tried another message and I have the same issue as before. There is no option to select anything.

                  I am pasting the connector screen shot (after the Javascript transformers). The "Messages" tab has no information (I refreshed the screen a couple of times)

                  Thanks
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What are your Message Storage settings for this channel? Is it set to Metadata? Is Remove content on completion checked?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      wayneh

                      We upgraded from MC 2.x to 3.0 and these are the default settings (after the upgrade).

                      Yes, the "Remove Content after completion" is checked. If that is indeed the case, (and it has not changed since our upgrade), how is it that I was able to view the "Raw", "Transformed" and "Encoded" radio buttons until yesterday.

                      Thanks
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One reason that you could have seen the content even with the "Remove content on completion" option enabled, is if your messages had any errors or were queued.

                        The content will not be removed if there are any destinations that errored or are still queued. Was that the case with the messages you were viewing?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by anand14 View Post
                          wayneh

                          We upgraded from MC 2.x to 3.0 and these are the default settings (after the upgrade).

                          Yes, the "Remove Content after completion" is checked. If that is indeed the case, (and it has not changed since our upgrade), how is it that I was able to view the "Raw", "Transformed" and "Encoded" radio buttons until yesterday.

                          Thanks
                          You can view the message content until the sending has completed, at which point the content is removed. Is it possible that one of the destinations of messages you were viewing had QUEUED or ERROR status?
                          Jacob Brauer
                          Director, Software Development
                          NextGen Healthcare

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It's also possible this channel has been modified since upgrading because the "Remove content on completion" and "Remove attachments on completion" options should always match after an upgrade.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wayneh View Post
                              It's also possible this channel has been modified since upgrading because the "Remove content on completion" and "Remove attachments on completion" options should always match after an upgrade.
                              Good catch. It appears the channel was in fact modified after upgrading, then.
                              Jacob Brauer
                              Director, Software Development
                              NextGen Healthcare

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X