Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should an OBX following a TXA in an MDM-T02 be interpreted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should an OBX following a TXA in an MDM-T02 be interpreted?

I'm doing some work to parse out an MDM message so that it can be persisted and presented to an end-user.

I'm seeing examples in the HL7 specification that look like this:
    TXA|0001|HP^history &physical|TX^text|19960213213000|...
    OBX|1|CE|2000.40^CHIEF COMPLAINT|| ...
    OBX|2|ST|2000.01^SOURCE||PATIENT
    OBX|3|TX|2000.02^PRESENT ILLNESS||SUDDEN ONSET OF CHEST PAIN. 2 DAYS, PTA ASSOCIATED WITH NAUSEA, VOMITING & SOB. NO RELIEF WITH ANTACIDS OR NTG. NO OTHER SX. NOT PREVIOUSLY ILL

The crude approach would be to treat the OBX's following the TXA as a plain text document and parse out the OBX segment as lines of text and treat each field as a separate block of text:

2000.40^CHIEF COMPLAINT:
    2000.01^SOURCE: PATIENT
    2000.02^PRESENT ILLNESS: SUDDEN ONSET OF CHEST PAIN. 2 DAYS PTA ASSOCIATED WITH NAUSEA, VOMITING & SOB. NO RELIEF WITH ANTACIDS

This will get the information in front of my user. However I'm not sure that its the appropriate or ideal way to interpret an OBX for a transcription.

Can anyone suggest a more elegant way to handle this? Better still, can anyone cite an official specification that tells me how to interpret an OBX segment as part of a transcription?
    Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!
    http://consultzen.com/careers/
    Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
    Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.

Really there's no "right" answer here. It all depends on what the source system spits out at you. Some EMRs generate T02s that have a single OBX followed by several NTEs that contain the actual message. Others use a single OBX for each line of a report. Still others don't even generate MDMs, but instead use ORU^R03s. Once you've seen one HL7 message... you've only seen one HL7 message.
    Step 1: JAVA CACHE...DID YOU CLEAR ...wait, ding dong the witch is dead?

Nicholas Rupley
    Work: 949-237-6069
    Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
    - You just bar.

Comment

Working...
    X