Announcement

Collapse

Mirth Connect 3.12.0 Released!

Mirth Connect 3.12.0 is now available as an appliance update and on our GitHub page. This release includes database performance improvements, improves visual HL7 representation, message pruning, keystore handling, PDF generation, community contributions, and fixes several security vulnerabilities. This release also contains many improvements to commercial extensions. See the release notes for the list of fixes and updates.

Download | See What's New | Upgrade Guide | Release Notes

For discussion on this release, see this thread.
See more
See less

Performance Problem with Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Problem with Channel

I have a channel (see attached file). It's incoming data is DICOM, source is File Reader. Two destinations (no filters) are File Writer and Database Writer.

When I first create, enable and deploy this channel it happily (read speedily) process any DICOM file I drop into the directory it's polling. Files typically range from 150kb to 7mb. As the number of files that it has processed increases, it slows way down. The first 10 (or so) files take 10-20 seconds each. By the time it's processed over 20 files, each file takes about 2-5 minutes to process.

Has anyone seen this issue before? channel.xml (29561 bytes)

Re:Performance Problem with Channel

What database is Mirth running on? Is it still on the default Derby?
    Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!
    http://consultzen.com/careers/
    Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
    Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.

Comment

Yes. Although I just tried switching to mysql to see if the same problem exists, but am getting errors. I suspect there is some mysql config steps I am missing.

Comment

Given the size of your messages switching away from Derby and bumping up your heap size would be good first steps.
        Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!
        http://consultzen.com/careers/
        Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
        Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.

Comment

Well switching to mysql (hosted on the same machine that runs mirth) has improved it. (I also upped the head size) Thanks for the suggestions.

My response is now roughly 1 minute per file. We are going to be moving to an oracle db eventually, which I would expect to improve responsiveness, but given my current configuration is this sort of response typical? This is all running on a 2.8GHz HP (windows xp) with 1GB of RAM.

(I've also turned off message storing) The main consumer of resources seems to be mysql doing lots of disk reading.

Comment

If you don't need to store the messages you could turn off message storage. That might drastically increase performance for these large files.
            Jacob Brauer
            Director, Software Development
            NextGen Healthcare

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I already turned that off. I think I saw marginal improvement, but nothing dramatic. When processing a file, it would seem that the db takes up CPU cycles. Any idea what it's doing?

Comment

For each dicom message,
                1. the dicom object will be written to the database
                2. read from the database
                3. deleted from the database (when message storage is off)

So there is going to be some database work for each DICOM message. Make sure you tune your database appropriately for reading/writing large objects.
                Daniel Svanstedt
                Software Engineer
                Mirth Corporation

Want professional services, support, and enterprise or virtual appliances? It's all available from the Mirth Corporation:
                Mirth Support | Mirth Training | Mirth Appliances | Online Training | Developer Q&A

Don't forget, Mirth Support gives you access to all of our online training videos, and silver support gives you access to developer Q&As!

Comment

I've switched to oracle now.

Comment

Ah so turing off storage of messages to db actually slows performance. It would be faster to leave it on and then clean them up later.

Comment

Ah so turing off storage of messages to db actually slows performance. It would be faster to leave it on and then clean them up later.

Comment

Working...
                      X