Fix File Writer to SMB Destination Windows Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix File Writer to SMB Destination Windows Server

All I had a problem with the File Writer destination working SMB to a windows server file share. I discovered that this is a result of Mirth using JCIFS for SMB. JCIFS only supports SMB Version 1. Microsoft has Deprecated SMB Version 1 starting around Server 2008 R2. Here are the steps that I took to resolve the issue. Please be sure you understand the security risks in re-enabling SMB Version 1.

Install SMB Version 1 on Microsoft Server.
    Open Powershell as Administrator
    Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $true

after running the 2 above commands in PowerShell launched as Administrator, on the server that has the shares you wish to access, your File Writer SMB Destination should now work.
    Last edited by TSmithTRA; 04-08-2020, 06:51 AM.
    Tom Smith
    IT Director
    Triad Radiology Associates

According to this ticket, File Reader smb support is supposed start using the jcifs-ng library, which has SMB2 and experimental SMB3 support.

Rather than weakening your server security (which may not even be an option if you don't control the file server,) a common current strategy is to use the capabilities of the OS to mount the remote share and then access it as a local file with the File Reader. This can even work for remote file systems for which the File Reader doesn't have native support if the OS is able to mount it.

Comment

Working...
    X