Announcement

Collapse

Mirth Connect 3.12.0 Released!

Mirth Connect 3.12.0 is now available as an appliance update and on our GitHub page. This release includes database performance improvements, improves visual HL7 representation, message pruning, keystore handling, PDF generation, community contributions, and fixes several security vulnerabilities. This release also contains many improvements to commercial extensions. See the release notes for the list of fixes and updates.

Download | See What's New | Upgrade Guide | Release Notes

For discussion on this release, see this thread.
See more
See less

Clustering with Mirth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clustering with Mirth

Do you need an actual Mirth appliance to cluster Mirth? Or can I load it on my own linux box and have a reliable cluster? Would it be better to use a network load balancer?

Re:Clustering with Mirth

The team from WebReach will have more info on the appliances specifically. There are advantages beyond clustering that an appliance will give you.

Now as far as clustering on your own install goes, you should be fine to use your own servers/installs and cluster Mirth. Before you go down the path of clustering you should consider why you're clustering. Bear in mind my knowledge is a bit second hand, I'm more of a developer than a systems engineer, but it should get you started.

Any single Mirth instance will happily handle large amounts of traffic. It depends on how complicated your transformers/filters are, but 50,000-100,000 messages a day is common and higher traffic is not unheard of. So clustering for throughput isn't needed unless you've already got one instance that is saturated.

Clustering for redundancy is as easy as any other load balanced networked application. Stick load-balancer or set up your router tables to send packets to any particular instance of Mirth and as long as each instance has the same channels, you're all set.

Since Mirth uses any one of the major database vendors as its own backend you can also readily cluster that aspect of the application as you would normally.

If you can, please post back with your specific needs or intentions and the community or WebReach will be able to follow up with more specific advice.
    Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!
    http://consultzen.com/careers/
    Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
    Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.

Comment

Clustering on appliances is more of a failover system than a load balancer. It constantly syncs two installations of Mirth, and if one of appliances or Mirth itself fails, it alerts you starts using the other appliance. It's very handy for both software and hardware crashes.

In terms of load balancing, we don't officially support multiple Mirth servers using the same database. Unofficially, however, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, please let us know and we will work to resolve them in the next release of Mirth. Also, if you do set up a load balancer to front multiple installations of Mirth, please contribute your work back to the community, as I'm sure it will be found useful by other people with very high message volumes.
      Jacob Brauer
      Director, Software Development
      NextGen Healthcare

sigpic

Comment

Our application is not to the point yet where we need to worry about load balancing. This is more of a concern about high availability.

Comment

For high availability, you will probably want something like I described. It is something that is done outside of Mirth, and clustered WebReach Mirth appliances do handle it very nicely.

Post edited by: jacobb, at: 07/18/2008 12:21
          Jacob Brauer
          Director, Software Development
          NextGen Healthcare

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jacobb View Post
            Clustering on appliances is more of a failover system than a load balancer. It constantly syncs two installations of Mirth, and if one of appliances or Mirth itself fails, it alerts you starts using the other appliance. It's very handy for both software and hardware crashes.

In terms of load balancing, we don't officially support multiple Mirth servers using the same database. Unofficially, however, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, please let us know and we will work to resolve them in the next release of Mirth. Also, if you do set up a load balancer to front multiple installations of Mirth, please contribute your work back to the community, as I'm sure it will be found useful by other people with very high message volumes.
            Did you succeeded in your HA implementation? If yes - what's the story?

Comment

Re: Clustering with Mirth

I too would like to request more information on how Mirth handles clustering or load balancing.

What configurations are possible with Mirth?
              Active-Active?
              Active-Passive?

Is failover seamless ( e.g. what happens when a request is cut in half. Would the passive server pick it up in the middle? Is everything completely mirrored?)

My aim is high availability rather than scaling to two servers due to too much load.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Stavros
              Last edited by Stav; 02-12-2010, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X