Announcement

Collapse

Mirth Connect 3.12.0 Released!

Mirth Connect 3.12.0 is now available as an appliance update and on our GitHub page. This release includes database performance improvements, improves visual HL7 representation, message pruning, keystore handling, PDF generation, community contributions, and fixes several security vulnerabilities. This release also contains many improvements to commercial extensions. See the release notes for the list of fixes and updates.

Download | See What's New | Upgrade Guide | Release Notes

For discussion on this release, see this thread.
See more
See less

Preventing full disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing full disk

The disk our our Mirth VM getting full to the point where Postgres can't write to its logs and thus refuses to do anything.

I've already beaten^H^H^H er spoke with the user who told Mirth to log all messages from 4 of our biggest customers overnight. I'm also making sure our Mirth VM is being monitored by SNMP so someone gets paged before it goes under again.

Are there any other cuts or preventative measures I can take so that Mirth (or Postgres) stops writing to the disk, deletes old logs, or stops what its doing before it fills the disk? I see that both the mirth.log and wrapper.log files are being rotated, can the rotator be told to gzip those as well?
    Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!
    http://consultzen.com/careers/
    Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
    Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.

Re:Preventing full disk

Hi

The mirth and wrapper.log files are controlled by log4j. You can specify the type of rotation that is performed in these files. In Jboss with log4j.xml you can define (i.e.) 5 files with a maximum size of 10M gziped and rotated.

Take a look to log4j.properties in Mirth distribution. With proper configuration of this file, you can log only "relevant" events, by shutting some packages to ERROR and the interesting ones to INFO or DEBUG, thus reducing the amount of lines logged out.

If you had deployed Mirth inside a JBoss AS and you're using some tool like Nagios, you can check the disk use, and if some thresold is reached shutdown the mirth instance (or only certain channels) with a JMX call. I don't know if the JMX layer it's accesible with Mirth deployed as standalone app. Also if you're using Nagios or other monitoring software, you can stop postgres database if needed.

Search in google for log4j project, and look for logging strategies like RollingFileAppender and so .

hope that helps!

Comment

quimicefa wrote:
      hope that helps![/quote]

It does! Thank you!
      Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!

Comment

BTW,

If you find the way to reduce the amount of logs that are show in the mirth administration console (not the ones written to logfiles), please share it in the forum because I'm tired to mess up with the log4j config and still haven't found the way to handle this.

See you!

Comment

Its a bit of a hack, but we decided to keep the large log files.

Our reasoning is that, when the disk fills up things fail because of lack of space. The ten log files at 11MB each actually give us something we can delete to buy enough room to get into the system and correct the problem.

Meantime the interfacing team knows not to leave their debugging/testing/harvesting channels on overnight and the IT team has tied the Mirth machine into the existing SNMP structure.
          Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X