Announcement

Collapse

Mirth Connect 3.12.0 Released!

Mirth Connect 3.12.0 is now available as an appliance update and on our GitHub page. This release includes database performance improvements, improves visual HL7 representation, message pruning, keystore handling, PDF generation, community contributions, and fixes several security vulnerabilities. This release also contains many improvements to commercial extensions. See the release notes for the list of fixes and updates.

Download | See What's New | Upgrade Guide | Release Notes

For discussion on this release, see this thread.
See more
See less

TLS communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLS communication

Do Mirth support TLS secure communication for HL7 messaging?

Thanks,
    Claudio

Re:TLS communication

I'm trying to figure this out too.

I was trying to figure out if it's possible to replace Jetty (the "embedded" web server Mirth uses) with Apache or Apache's mod_ssl, as that supports TLS.

I haven't been able to figure this out yet, but I'm just starting.

I did figure out that if you were willing to use SSL instead of TLS, the instructions for installing an SSL certificate in Jetty are at http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty5/faq/...ity_t_ssl.html.

Unfortunately, more me, it seems to me I'm going to need to upgrade to TLS.

The only thing I've found that might do the trick would be to use Jetty and add a 3rd party tool called ?Protekt Encryption? from Forge Research (of Australia). A 30-day, low-strength version of the code can be downloaded from http://www.forge.com.au/Research/pro...t/protekt.html.

The on-going license of the full-strength product is going to cost something, but I'm not sure what.

And, all of this is strictly theoretical for me, as I haven't tried any of it yet.

Anyone have any better ideas?

-Chris

Comment

ceshull wrote:
      Anyone have any better ideas?
      [/quote]

I won't claim it solves the exact problem posed, but my company just runs all sensitive medical traffic between our customers over a VPN. It may not be ideal since a VPN is a bit heavier than a TLS/SSL encrypted TCP stream, but there is less effort from the interface team and the networking team to provision the VPN.

If you're actively looking into adding TLS into Mirth I'd encourage you to hop on IRC. A few of the devs and experts lurk there and you may get some info that'll help get you started.

Post edited by: jbartels, at: 10/05/2008 13:17
      Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!
      http://consultzen.com/careers/
      Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
      Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.

Comment

My problem is that VPN solutions aren't considered acceptable. The sheer number of potential connections and their expected dynamic nature are already causing us to plan for a Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) to support assured mutual authentication of server-to-server connections.

Thanks for the pointer to IRC. I'll give that a try.

-Chris

Comment

We also need to send/receive encrypted HL7 messages from many partners. I don't see setting up hundreds of VPN SSL tunnels as a solution. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
          X