Cannot Log In After Enabling Encryption Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Log In After Enabling Encryption Settings

After enabling the following encryption settings in mirth.properties and restarting the service, we cannot log in to the admin console. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

encryption.algorithm = AES
    encryption.keylength = 256
    digest.algorithm = MD5
    security.provider = org.bouncycastle.jce.provider.BouncyCastleProvider

We are on Mirth Connect Server 3.2.2.7694

Thanks,
    Matt

It's not that you've "enabled" those settings, you've just changed a couple of them. The default values for those are AES, 128, SHA256, and BouncyCastleProvider. So really you've just changed the encryption key length and digest algorithm.

Passwords are stored in the database as salted hash values. So if you were using the default hash algorithm of SHA256 and then changed it to MD5, it makes sense that you can no longer login because the MD5 hash doesn't match the SHA256 hash in the database (and there's no way to convert the hash without knowing the password, that would defeat the purpose of it).

Basically you need to update your password in the database first. Here's another similar thread: http://www.mirthcorp.com/community/f...ad.php?t=15446

For example, you can change it to "y7W3CXfmNSzRVd/CSc78f6t0fW22HnuR" for "admin". Then you should be able to log in and reset your and other users' passwords.
    Step 1: JAVA CACHE...DID YOU CLEAR ...wait, ding dong the witch is dead?

Nicholas Rupley
    Work: 949-237-6069
    Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
    - You just bar.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I enable encryption at the channel level (using the default mirth encryption settings) my message content will be encrypted? It did not appear that way from the admin console when I searched message content.

Comment

Originally posted by matt.oldham View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply. So if I enable encryption at the channel level (using the default mirth encryption settings) my message content will be encrypted? It did not appear that way from the admin console when I searched message content.
        Yes, that's because it automatically decrypts it for you when you view it in the Administrator. If you look at it in the database (d_mc* tables) it will be encrypted. You just won't be able to run text searches against it from the message browser.
        Step 1: JAVA CACHE...DID YOU CLEAR ...wait, ding dong the witch is dead?

Nicholas Rupley
        Work: 949-237-6069
        Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
        - You just bar.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and confirmation, Nick.

Comment

Working...
          X