ASTM listener and protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASTM listener and protocol

I would like to write an ASTM listener and protocol parser to be incorporated into MIRTH. Can you help me get started on this? I think this would make a nice addition to MIRTH and enable it to handle a myriad of point-of-care devices as well as your general Lab Analyzers.
    Thank you, Jim

I agree with you jim but no luck right now!

Ricard Bernat

Comment

ASTM listener

I would think that a MIRTH Software engineer would jump at the chance to have someone develop an ASTM listener for "free" to be incorporated with their MIRTH Connect product.

Comment

No need to be snarky.

What do you need to know to get started? Have you checked out the source from SVN? What protocols/standards will your ASTM connector deal with?

Do you even need a full connector for this standard?
        Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!
        http://consultzen.com/careers/
        Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
        Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.

Comment

I know nothing about ASTM, however I know that custom connectors like this can be done. A guy in our office has developed an XMPP connector which we are using every day. From what I remember he checked the source out, starting digging into the other connectors to see how they were created and went from there. I'll see if he has any more tips/tricks he can share.

Comment

You need to get your head around the standard you want to implement before getting too deep into Mirth Connect.

The ASTM I know is a standards body and the healthcare standard they drive is CCR. CCR is an XML based standard and you can do a lot in Mirth Connect with XML data already so you may not need a full blown connector to meet your goals, a channel and some code templates may be adequate.

XMPP would require (or at least be a lot easier to work with) a custom connector since XMPP is not merely a message format but also defines a communication protocol.

If you have access to this custom connector and the guy who wrote it, that is a great place to start! Once you have more specific questions, post back and the community will be here to help.
            Last edited by jbartels; 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
            Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!
            http://consultzen.com/careers/
            Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
            Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.

Comment

I realised a ASTM connection by using HL7 Channels.
              It runs good.

If you want to insert the parsed data in a database can store the message in the Database and parse it out of mirth.

Comment

I just posted a comment on this issue on the corresponding Jira ticket at this link. I believe that this does require a full-blown connector. Please feel free to comment either here or on that ticket.
                Michael Kopinsky
                Montefiore Medical Center
                Bronx, NY

Comment

In the ticket you mention support for low-level protocol which is already supported in Mirth using the LLP connector.

What does a ASTM message look like? If you have a a sample I could probably tell if it could be parsed as an hl7 message or not.
                  Daniel Svanstedt
                  Software Engineer
                  Mirth Corporation

Want professional services, support, and enterprise or virtual appliances? It's all available from the Mirth Corporation:
                  Mirth Support | Mirth Training | Mirth Appliances | Online Training | Developer Q&A

Don't forget, Mirth Support gives you access to all of our online training videos, and silver support gives you access to developer Q&As!

Comment

The ASTM low level protocol is not the same as the HL7 LLP. I will spend a bit more time tomorrow investigating the options for the LLP to see if it can be adapted, but the protocols are fundamentally different. I will also try to get you a sample message tomorrow.
                    Michael Kopinsky
                    Bronx, NY

Comment

There are a bunch of sample messages at this link starting at section 5.2.1. As noted in section 5.2, this is the message content (ASTM 1394) after it has been processed by the low-level stuff (ASTM 1381). 1381 specifies the format as: (red represents response sent by the LIS)
                      <ENQ>
                      <ACK>
                      <STX>FN text<ETB>C1 C2<CR><LF> <-- intermediate frames
                      <ACK>
                      <STX>FN text<ETX>C1 C2<CR><LF> <--end frame
                      <ACK>

FN is frame number which increments from 0 to 7. C1 and C2 are checksums that can essentially be ignored in TCP/IP. <ENQ>,<ACK>,<STX>,<ETB>,<ETX> etc are ASCII characters.

I think this is more than can be currently supported by the LLP listener. The most obvious blocker in my testing is that the instrument sends the <ENQ> and won't send anything else until it gets an <ACK> packet. Could this perhaps be added as an option in the LLP listener rather than by building a new listener?
                      Michael Kopinsky
                      Bronx, NY

Comment

ASTM Protocol

ASTM protocol is actually 2 levels. The lower level provides framing. The upper level provides the message structure. It looks a bit like HL7 V2.x with a lobotomy. I worked on an instrument project that uses the ASTM/LIS protocol. What we ended up doing was to parse the LIS2 data to XML and then map to our data objects on the way in and reversed the procedure on the way out. You can find an HL7 2.x to XML converter somewhere on the web. That might be a good starting point for a conversion project.

Comment

How did you deal with LIS1 protocol?
                          Michael Kopinsky
                          Bronx, NY

Comment

Since we were writing software for an instrument, we wrote the low-level drivers and LIS1 protocol engine ourselves. We can switch via config files between serial and TCP/IP transports. I am in the middle of verification protocol reviews for the device now.

Once the LIS-1 layer was happy - framing/parity/checksum acknowledged, the translator got the message and then passed the XML to the mapper and son on into the database.

Comment

So the challenge still remains of how to do this within Mirth. I will take a look at this in a few days.
                              Michael Kopinsky
                              Bronx, NY

Comment

Working...
                              X