Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Client compile problem with latest SVN source!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client compile problem with latest SVN source!

I updated my source tree to the latest SVN stuff earlier this evening.

And now a clean build (using the batch file in the server directory) fails on the create-client target with errors like the following:

[javac] Compiling 190 source files to D:\dev\mirth\client\classes
    [javac] D:\dev\mirth\client\src\com\webreach\mirth\client\ ui\ScriptPanel.java:17: package com.webreach.mirth.server.util does not exist
    [javac] import com.webreach.mirth.server.util.UUIDGenerator;

Looks like a jar file from the server side is not being copied over or used during the client build.

Did someone muck about with the ant build scripts and break the build perhaps?

Re:Client compile problem with latest SVN source!

Someone forget to check in a changed/new file perhaps?

Comment

SVN is a little tricky. But you can solve this problem can be solved by hand. If you are starting with Mirth, I recomends you to use the 1.6.1 branch first.

Comment

I have no problem with SVN usage (been a developer for decades!) and am definitely not a Mirth newbie (I've been building/using latest versions for some time and have donated some code fixes and the Ant administration tasks in that regard).

I have had no troubles with the 1.7.0 trunk releases till just recently when the build broke, so I suspect that someone broke it, probably by not checking in a changed/added file. 1.6.1 is not an option for us at this stage. I can revert to an older SVN version from a week or so ago without too much trouble, but figured that you guys might want to fix the broken build as well. ;-)

Try doing a clean rebuild from scratch from the latest SVN trunk and you should run into the same problems I have.

Comment

"...files to D:devmirthclientclasses"

Shouldn't that be D:\\devmirthclientclasses???

It looks like a bad path. It's been 3 years since I used ANT/Java that could be a notation for something else.
          Jon Bartels

Zen is hiring!!!!
          http://consultzen.com/careers/
          Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
          Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.

Comment

The paths are fine....the actual path is d:/dev/mirth/client/classes.

When I pasted the compiler messages, the forum software took the backslashes as escapes and eliminated them. Ignore that...that is not the problem!

The problem is that the builds worked fine till a few days ago. Did an SVN update for about 1 week (at most) worth of updates (I stay pretty much current on the SVN code base) and now the build fails because the client source files can't find some server classes.

Sounds like someone changed the client code to use some server classes, and either haven't done a clean build (so that older server jars were still floating around on the client side and were used to resolve the refs), or they forgot to check in some build script/file changes along with the client code changes.

Post edited by: [email protected], at: 10/25/2007 12:52

Comment

I'm sorry, andrzej. I means that the svn code is not as stable as it should be. But as I can see by your post, you've discovered it in the hard way. Of course, thanks for posting the issue.

For a quick fix, I think that it can be solved by coming back to the 2859 version (at least for SriptPanel).

And thanks for all your fixes & utils.

Comment

We're going to try to resolve the issue before the end of the week. This week is a bit rough, half the team is out sick and the fires in So Cal knocked out power for a while!
                Chris Lang

Comment

No problem, and my pleasure. I'll continue to give back to the community as I can and where it makes sense.

That being said, unstable is fine by me. I expect that being on the "bleeding edge" running current SVN builds of 1.7.0.

What I don't expect and is typically less than ideal development practice is builds breaking. Why was stuff checked in if it breaks the build?

That typically has untowards impact on dev team productivity as a whole, not just us external guys.

Sure it happens....I've broken builds myself, usually by forgetting to check some dependency in.

Anyway....my real intent was to bring this to your attention, as it's easy internally to not notice that a clean build breaks is all. Wasn't intending to nag any more than that. ;-)

Comment

No problem, Chris. If I need to I have a backup that built from a week or so ago, and can just restore from a DVD rather than having to use online SVN revert capabilities. Faster that way.

I'm up in Canada (north of Toronto) and quite far from the flames you guys are wrestling with. My wife has family and we have friends in the San Diego area, so our thoughts are with everyone and we hope that the winds stay low and that some rainfall might come soon!

Thanks for looking into the problem when you can. No huge rush on my part as the earlier 1.7.0 build we're using seems to be quite stable.

Comment

Hey Chris et al:

Any progress on this over the weekend?

I don't want to do an SVN update unless I can get a clean build running.

Hope everyone is recovering from all the colds.

Thanks!

Comment

It should all be fine now. I believe we fixed it last week (Thursday). A file was checked into the client that referenced code on the server. We didn't catch it right away because we all have the server and client sources linked, so the builds in our IDE's worked, just not the official build.
                        Jacob Brauer
                        Director, Software Development
                        NextGen Healthcare

sigpic

Comment

Awesome....much appreciate the update. I've got a deadling tomorrow, so will try to test it in a few days.

I figured that the problem was a client code checkin gone bad, that wasn't caught because of build environment differences.

One of the reasons I prefer vanilla ANT builds over any IDE out there. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                          X